- Australian deputy PM Joyce resigns over sexual harassment allegations
- China's UN envoy urges to solve Syria crisis through political settlement
- Warm smiles, cold comfort from N. Korea's Olympic 'army of beauties'
- Man attacks mother to death, sister severely injured
- EU Ambassador lays foundation stone for Panauti Municipality Learning Centre
New hybrid maize crops recommended
Ratnanagar (Chitwan), May 12: The National Maize Crop Research Programme Rampur, which has been launching a research on different classes of corn, today recommended two new breeds of corn.
The new hybrid types dubbed – Rampur Hybrid 4 and Rampur Hybrid 6 – have been send for recommendation, Research Programme's senior scientist, Chitra Bahadur Kunwar, said. The samples of the new corn varieties have been sent to the centre with recommendation for its release.
Following verification from National Seed Board's Seed Registration and Release Committee, the new types will be recommended for plantation to the farmers.
The scientists say that 7 to 9 tons of seeds of the recommended corn types could be spread per hectare of land for farming. The corn usually grows from 110 to 120 days in summer and from 140 days to 150 days during the winter season. Last year, new hybrid corn Arun 3, 4 and 6 were recommended. This hybrid type is ready for reaping in 80 to 90 days from the day of plantation.
The National Maize Crop Research Programme Rampur has already introduced 29 new breeds of corn since 1962 (2021 BS).