- Rapist gets life imprisonment
- Province- 2 CM Raut seeking vote of confidence in provincial parliament today
- Indian national killed in bus mishap
- PM pledges to develop Indradaha into tourist spot Highlights Kalu Pandey’s contribution to nation building
- Notorious gangster Pun killed in police encounter
Some 2,000 houses inundated in Saptari
Rajbiraj, July 24: Floodwaters from various rivers in Saptari triggered by torrential rains on Friday and Saturday have inundated around 2,000 houses.
Floodwaters from Khando Stream entered human settlements in Sakarpura, Dighawa, Launiya, Rampur Malhaniya , Deuri Bharuwa, Jhalhi, Pharsaid, Bishhariya and Tilathi. Most houses in these villages have been flooded.
Likewise, the Mohali Stream inundated a large number of houses in Portaha, Bhardaha, Giddhakhola and Barmajhiya. Bhardaha remains the most-affected area by the flooding, according to a local Ashok Majhi. Entire settlements in Bhardaha wards no 5 and 6 have been flooded.
Around 30,000 hectare of arable land in the district has been waterlogged.
Likewise, floodwaters damaged fishponds in the rural areas of the district.
People of the floods-affected areas have shifted to safer places. They are taking shelter in higher land near the river banks.
Saptari's Chief District Officer Baldev Gautam said rescue and relief efforts are underway in the disaster-hit areas.