- Rapist gets life imprisonment
- Province- 2 CM Raut seeking vote of confidence in provincial parliament today
- Indian national killed in bus mishap
- PM pledges to develop Indradaha into tourist spot Highlights Kalu Pandey’s contribution to nation building
- Notorious gangster Pun killed in police encounter
Lawmakers take stock of inmates’ human rights in Ilam
Ilam, June 23: A parliamentary taskforce under the Social Justice and Human Rights Committee of the Legislature-Parliament on Monday inspected the District Jail Ilam and inquired about the inmates’ human rights situation and their problems.
The taskforce led by lawmaker Panchkarna Rai also collected the inmates’ suggestions to incorporate their concerns in the new constitution. Other lawmakers visiting the district include Bhotanidevi Khawas, Pyarelal Rana, Sabina Prabin and Kamal Dong.
On the occasion, leader of the inmates, Manbir Limbu, said that lack of proper treatment facilities, toilet and drinking water were the major problems of the inmates due to overcrowd in the jail.
The jailbirds also said that the minimum facilities given by the state was insufficient for their living.
Coordinator of Taskforce Rai said that the demands of the inmates were appropriate and promised to fulfill their concerns after the beginning of the House session.
Chief of the Ilam Jail, Durga Dulal, informed the lawmakers about the existing situation of the prison house and related issues. RSS