- Australian deputy PM Joyce resigns over sexual harassment allegations
- China's UN envoy urges to solve Syria crisis through political settlement
- Warm smiles, cold comfort from N. Korea's Olympic 'army of beauties'
- Man attacks mother to death, sister severely injured
- EU Ambassador lays foundation stone for Panauti Municipality Learning Centre
'I am always in favour of Tharu struggle'
Kathmandu, Aug. 28: Nepali Congress senior leader Sher Bahadur Deuba has expressed concern saying that some media outlets have disseminated 'fake' news reports about his recent statements regarding Tharu community and urged the media to disseminate only credible news.
"Disseminate news based on credibility and truth," he said indicating to the media, adding that he and his party is always in favour of free press.
Deuba was speaking at a programme organised by the Nepal Press Union in the capital today.
Clarifying that he always stands in favour of Tharu community, the former prime minister said that he himself freed Kamaiya (bonded labourers) for the upliftment of the Tharu community.
"I am always in favour of Tharu struggle. How can I go against the community," asked the former Prime Minister. He also said that there was an infiltration in the August 24 Tikapur incident that had left nine people including police personnel dead.
On the occasion, Minister for Information and Communications, Dr Minendra Rijal said that the media has played a constructive role in the development of the state, calling for correction of 'some weakness' in the media sector. No ruling party could bar the media from working freely, he said.